- We have 44,000 street lights in the borough
- They are inspected every four weeks in the summer and every two weeks during the winter
- We also currently inspect every lamp on a three year cyclic maintenance programme (This may change to every six years as we replace our lights with new LED units).
- All our lighting columns are fitted with light sensors (PECU’s – Photo Electric Control Unit), which operate like a switch when the light drops to a certain level.
- The average annual energy cost of one residential light unit is in the region of £35 a year.
- The cost to provide a complete new residential light is around £2,500.
- On average, over a twelve month period, we get one lighting column or traffic signal pole knocked down by a vehicle within the borough every day.
Be a Road Care Reporter – tell us if you see a street light that isn’t working.